Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Classification Talk for Greg Musil















Greg Musil
Shareholder at Polsinelli Shughart

Rotary member for 16 years

My name is Greg Musil and I am a native Kansan. I grew up on a farm outside of a small town in northeast Kansas called Frankfort. Frankfort had a Rotary Club that had lunch once a week in the Methodist Church basement, but beyond that I had little knowledge of what Rotary was or what Rotarians did. Even when I joined the Overland Park Rotary in 1993 I was unsure of the real purpose for my membership.

What I have learned since then is that Rotary International may be the best answer to a future of peace, cooperation and international understanding. If we could get the Rotary 4-Way Test adopted by people worldwide, what a wonderful world this could be.

My classification in Rotary is Law Practice - General. Yes, I am a lawyer. Some might say I needed Rotary more than others simply to overcome the perception of my profession. I don't believe that, but I do know that Rotary's motto of "Service Above Self" is an important adition to what I learned on a farm in a small town about values, helping neighbors and practicing teamwork. The principles taught in 4-H and Boy Scouts and at church drive me to serve as a member of Rotary. I have always been involved, whether as Student Body President at Kansas State University, as a City Councilman in Overland Park for 8 years, or as a community volunteer. Those activities, I hope, help me fulfill the expectations of my parents that all three of their kids would give back to their communities and do more than just sit around and hope or, worse yet, sit around and complain.

For anyone interested in helping others in a group of caring, smart, diverse, hard-working and dedicated people, Rotary International is a great place to be a member. I hope you will consider membership, too.

No comments: